From EverydayHealth.com, and I’ve summarized the full article from here.
- Times when you crave food; make sure you have healthy, low-calorie snacks to reach for.
- Opportunities to replace fat — steam-cook food with water instead of in oil, try mustard on a sandwich instead of mayonnaise, and drizzle fat-free dressing on your salad.
- Serving sizes that are too large; scale back.
- High-calorie drinks, including soda, sweet tea, sweetened or flavored milks, sweetened coffees, alcohol, and juices; replace with water, low-fat milk, or sugar-free drinks.
- High-calorie additions to low-calorie foods — skip the cheese and nuts on salads and the butter on potatoes, for example.
- Aim to lose up to two pounds a week, or 1 percent of your total body weight if you are over 200 pounds.
- You can lose 10 pounds in less than 10 weeks if you cut out or burn more than 500 calories daily. The best way is to do both — cut down on calories and increase the amount you burn through exercise.
- Don’t eat less than 1,200 calories a day. Your body will detect a “starvation” state and will revert to storing calories instead of burning them.
- Use an online tool (or phone app) to help you count calories.
- Increase the vegetables on your plate to increase food volume but lower calorie density Increase your use of veggies in mixed dishes like casseroles or stew.
- Start with soup. Starting your meal with a soup of less than 200 calories can reduce your calorie intake from the main course by 20 percent.
- Start with fruit. Eating a raw apple before a meal keeps you feeling full longer, and will cut down on your calorie consumption by about 15 percent.
- Get enough lean protein throughout the day.
Note: I cut and pasted from the full article!
November 2, 2010. Tags: blog, breakfast, build muscle, burn fat, calories, clean eating, cravings, Diet, eat clean, eat clean diet, Exercise, fat, fat burning, fat loss, fatloss, fitness, fitness plan, food, food diary, health, high protein, hunger, interval training, lose 10 pounds, lose 10lbs, lose fat, lose weight, low carb, metabolism, motivation, muscle, muscle building, nutrition, overeat, overeating, protein, recipe, Recipes, routine, running, skinny, sleep, snacks, study, tips, tone up, Tosca Reno, weight, weight gain, Weight Loss Tips, weight routine, weight training, weight-loss, weightloss, weights, whole foods, work out. Diet, Exercise, Weight Loss Tips.