Spinach The Superfood
Spinach! From Chatelaine…
- Spinach is an excellent source of calcium: By supplying 100mg of calcium in every 100g serving, spinach is an excellent alternative to dairy for its ability to support healthy bone growth and prevent the onset of osteoporosis.
- Spinach can help you relax: Spinach is one of the highest sources of dietary magnesium. Magnesium is necessary for smooth muscle relaxation of the arteries, as well as for hormone development in our adrenal glands to cope with high stress levels.
- Spinach is high in folate: Folate is important for everyone, but necessary for expectant mothers to ensure proper neurological development of the fetus in early stages of growth. So stock up on spinach to nourish your baby’s nervous system!
- Spinach is a great source of protein: There may have been some truth to the old Popeye cartoons. Spinach is one of the only vegetarian sources of protein that contains a complete amino acid profile to rebuild muscle tissue and support collagen growth, which helps to maintain healthy skin and mobile joints.
- Spinach can help protect your eyesight: Spinach is high in lutein, a phytonutrient in the carotenoid family. Lutein specifically targets the eyes to avoid the macular degeneration associated with aging. It’s an antioxidant for the eyes that maintains healthy vision.
There are many ways to cook with spinach. My fav way is just wilting it in a pan with a bit of spray or olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Try it with garlic, mushrooms or with a peanut sauce. Google “spinach recipes” and you come up with lots of ideas. Also, add tore up pieces of spinach to pastas, soups and omelettes.
January 24, 2011. Tags: calcium, fat, fat burning, fat loss, fatloss, fitness, folate, food, food diary, health, high protein, hunger, interval training, lose 10lbs, lose fat, lose weight, magnesium, metabolism, motivation, muscle, muscle building, new years resolution, nutrition, overeat, overeating, protein, recipe, Recipes, routine, running, skinny, sleep, snacks, spinach, sports, study, tip, tips, tone, tone up, weight, weight gain, Weight Loss Tips, weight management, weight routine, weight training, weight-loss, weightloss, weights. Diet, Health, Recipes, Weight Loss Tips.
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!